Monday, July 2, 2007

Entry for July 02, 2007

One of these days I will add some more photos to the blog, but I figured I should post something for those of you good enough to sign onto my site. The trouble with a blog for someone in my position is that all I do these days is work and sleep, and as you all know, there's not much I can say on a blog about work. Which kind of leaves sleep, but the trouble with that is you kind of stop dreaming when you only sleep 5 hours a night. I don't say that to generate sympathy--in fact, even though I often wake up more exhausted than I've ever been in my life, once I am up, I generally feel more rested and energized than I ever did trying to keep up with the rat race in New York. Speaking of which, I do miss the city terribly, but the trouble with New York is that you never have time for the people in your life, and let me tell you, if there's one point being in Iraq drives home, it's that there is absolutely nothing more important than the people in your life. (that and green stuff--you know, trees, grass, etc.). And there is nothing more precious than your freedom. So humor me for a minute, and let me tell you a few things I've learned in the very brief time I've been here: If you hate your job, quit--you can. Make time for your family--when they're not around, you'll wish you had--but don't waste a second trying to make other people happy unless they're willing to meet you half way. Life is too short to spend all your energy worrying about who doesn't approve of your decisions. Enjoy your life, and unless you're willing to devout your life to a cause, don't espouse firm opinions about one. Acknowledge that reading the Economist before you go to bed at night does not make you well informed--it just makes you informed enough to think you should have an opinion, but trust me, you shouldn't. Especially if it's about the war. Other than that, I guess I don't have too much to say. One of these days I'll post some pics with witticisms, if I have the energy to be witty. I'm counting the days till R&R, and reshuffling my list of goals for my real life back home (this is just my fantasy life that I still can't believe I'm living). Making babies is steadily rising to the top of the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment